2013 was a great year for the Friends of Hermon Dog Park. We hosted a variety of events and expanded our community of members, newsletter subscribers and Facebook friends (almost 700!). We sponsored adoption and spay/neuter events and hosted Pet Ed seminars and “Yappy Hours”. We also shepherded maintenance projects at the park and laid the groundwork for a successful new year.
At the park we:
- worked with the LA Parks and Recreation maintenance team to facilitate repair of pot holes, water leaks and pipe breaks, and the resurfacing of the decomposed granite
- planted trees and nurtured them
- provided hundreds of poop bags and several scoopers
- held a cleanup day in October – thanks to our many volunteers who scrubbed and swept to make our park something to be proud of.
We hosted “Yappy Hours” on the last Sunday of every month that included
- a pet massage demonstration by Annette Ramseyer
- Red Carpet Oscar Day with photo booth
- a summer picnic with doggie hot dogs
- a membership contest
- “Hermon’s Got Talent” talent show
- HOWL-oween Costume Contest and Peanut Butter Lick-off – best ever!
We sponsored two “Pet Eds” free seminars at Yappy Hour
- a guided hike in Debs Park in March, led by local dog trainer, Lezle Stein
- “When is it an Emergency?” – with veterinarian Dr. Lisa Hsuan of Animal Health Care Center in Eagle Rock
We supported Adoption:
- In May, we found forever homes for 23 dogs and cats at our Mother’s Day adoption event that was co-sponsored with the North Central Animal Shelter. We provided vouchers for discounts in addition to the already special adoption fees, which allowed more deserving families to adopt a loving pet. We received backing from the Arroyo Seco, Eagle Rock and Lincoln Heights neighborhood councils and from City Council Districts 14, 1 and 13, as well as a grant from the Petco Foundation. We also had the support of local vendors and non-profits who set up booths and offered information and gifts to our attendees.
We supported Spay/Neuter:
- In July, 28 dogs were successfully spayed or neutered (and vaccinated) at Hermon Dog Park (and at no cost!) thanks to the amazing staff and volunteers of the Amanda Foundation and their Spaymobile.
On December first we marched down Figueroa St. in Highland Park as the “Santa Paws Squad”. This was the fifth year in a row we participated in the Northeast Los Angeles Holiday Parade. This year we even had a sleigh. The weather was beautiful, and the dogs and their owners had a blast in their holiday attire.
Our long-time supporter, Woof Dog Boutique in Atwater Village, donated designer dog clothes and accessories that helped us raise money throughout the year.
Our volunteers are the heart of our organization –we had great support this year from many old friends and some wonderful new friends including the Academia Avance charter school and Girl Scout Troop 1955. We are truly grateful for all the help we received and know that we could not succeed without all of you. We are also grateful to our many donors who help keep us going.
Our plans for next year include a Pet Emergency Preparedness Pet Ed seminar and another visit from the Amanda Foundation Spaymobile along with our Yappy Hours and signature events. We welcome your suggestions for activities and events. Because it’s all about the dogs…
Nancy Nickerson & Kat Spofford