2015 was an exciting year for Friends of Hermon Dog Park. We hosted a variety of fundraising events and expanded our community of members, newsletter subscribers and Facebook friends. We hosted Pet Ed seminars and “Yappy Hours” at the park, and the dog agility course was installed in September 2015.
AT THE PARK- We…
- Added 4 new trees
- Two more benches to large side.
- We provided hundreds of bio-degradable poop bags and several pooper scoopers.
- Started a Petition and received 250 signatures to gain interest in installing shade structures at the dog park.
- Installed permanent 5-Piece Dog Agility Course.
We hosted themed “Yappy Hours” on the last Sunday of every month, which included Pet Education Seminars. We also had many giveaways at each event. All photos taken during YH were placed on our Facebook page.
- January Yappy Hour: Annual Meeting and re-election of Board Members
- February: Pet Education Seminar cancelled due to rain and windy conditions.
- March: Free dog obedience seminar with Speaker and Trainer Karen Saunders. She discussed the Canine Good Citizen test and how your dog can become a registered therapy dog! She did some demonstrations and a Q&A session at the end of Yappy Hour. Karen raffled off a 9-week dog training session to one lucky seminar goer. Also in March we had a booth at Monterrey Hills Health Education Fair.
- April: Animal Trainer and Behaviorist Lezle Stein’s ‘Dog Speak’ Seminar was a hit. Park goers sat in a circle and discussed problem behavior in a question and answer session. Lezle raffled off two free dog training sessions to seminar goers.
- May: No Yappy Hour, instead we held an online Facebook/Instagram Contest entitled “#FunAtHermonDogPark” – 2 winners (large and small dog received Petco Gift Cards).
- June: Hermon Dog Park received two benches from Rec and Parks. Arroyo Seco Neighborhood Council sponsored movie night at the dog park. Popcorn, free bottled water and gift bags from ASNC were given out during the movie Beethoven. Dogs and owners watched together on blankets. FHDP booth gave away free dog food samples. On Facebook, the FHDP page reached 1000 Likes! FHDP had a booth at Lummis Day at Sycamore Grove Park.
- July: Hermon Dog Park’s 10th Anniversary! A birthday and an anniversary was great fun for the dogs and park goers. A huge basket donated by Planet Doggy was raffled off at the end of the membership drive. “I and Love and You” pet food sponsored the event and they had tons of free goodies to give away that day!
- August: Pet Education Seminar: Lisa Hsuan and Dr. Alondra Pasallo of Animal Health Care Center in Eagle Rock .They spoke about dog allergies and parasites, as well as flea prevention with a veterinarian Q&A. A free bag of raw dog food was raffled off at end of seminar.
- September: Council District 14 Staff and Councilman Jose Huizar, along with President of ASNC and HHPNC were on hand with FHDP for the ribbon cutting ceremony of the Dog Agility Course. Free dog treats were given out courtesy of Highland Park’s Rosie Bunny Bean store. Gift baskets were raffled off every 20 minutes during Yappy Hour.
- October: Amanda Foundation sponsored with FHDP a Spay/Neuter Clinic on October 11th. On October 28th, was our 10th Annual HOWL-oween Costume Contest and Peanut Butter Lick-off. 60 entrants walked the runway with their dogs 2 dogs won the Peanut Butter Lick-off and received peanut butter treats. The contest was sponsored by Petco. 15 $25 gift cards, along with a doggie themed gift bags were handed out. ASNC sponsored the day and purchased free tacos for all park goers.
- November: Free Spay/Neuter Clinic with Occupuppy Project
- December: Free Spay/Neuter Clinic at Hermon Dog Park, 2 Ficus trees were planted.
- For 2015: We have 122 members who have paid membership fees or donated money. Last year we had 189.
- We have 1,135 Facebook Friends, last year we had 935. Our newsletter currently has 838 Subscribers; last year we had 665 Subscribers.
- In our newsletter we started a feature called “Dog of the Month”; a dog that plays at Hermon Dog Park can tell their rescue story and be honored as the dog of the month at monthly Yappy Hour.
Our volunteers are the heart of our organization –we had great support this year from many old friends and some wonderful new friends including the Academia Avance charter school at the October Yappy Hour. We are truly grateful for all the help we received and know that we could not succeed without all of you. We also appreciate the funds given by our many donors who help keep us going.
Involvement – Members and park patrons are encouraged to get involved in activities at the dog park, by volunteering and hosting in our membership booth at Yappy Hours. If you are interested in attending a board meeting, please sign-up! Hermon Dog Park: Where Dogs and their Owners get socially unleashed!”
We now open the floor to questions and comments.
President, Friends of Hermon Dog Park